I love this dish, it’s simple, and the flavour combinations work beautifully together to complement each other. I was lucky enough to pick up this amazing hot smoked salmon while on holiday at the Noosa Farmer’s Market - a must-visit spot for any true food lover!
‘Hot smoked’ is when you smoke at a higher temperature, but for a shorter period of time, cooking the salmon. Normal smoked salmon is ‘cold smoked’ with lower temperatures for longer, which extends the shelf life and adds flavour, but does not cook it. Hot smoked salmon or trout is great to flake through a salad, omelettes, pasta, risotto and so much more!
The horseradish provides a creamy, hot contrast to the oily fish, and the cucumber adds a refreshing crunchiness. To try something even more special you could cook your kipfler potatoes in a salt crust. Serve this amazing dish with a side of watercress salad. Simple: enjoy.
HOT SMOKED SALMON w KIPFLER POTATOES + HORSERADISH CREAM
Gluten Free I Serves 2 as a main or 4 as an entree
- 300g hot smoked salmon*
- 8 kipfler potatoes, scrubbed, un-peeled
- 1 bunch of asparagus, ends removed
- Dill sprigs
- Cucumber, diced (optional)
- Splash extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly cracked pepper
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 2 tablespoons grated horseradish
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Squeeze of fresh lemon
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 220 °C.
- To make the horseradish cream, combine all ingredients in a bowl, stir and set aside.
- Pop the kipfler potatoes in a roasting tin, splash with olive oil, and season VERY well with salt and a little pepper. Move them about until well coated. Pop in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Just before your kipflers are ready, put your asparagus in a pot with cold water, turn the heat on high and cook until bright green. Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- To assemble. Warm your ceramic plates in the oven. Separate large pieces of salmon using your hands and arrange onto your warmed plate with the kipflers, asparagus and cucumber. Dot on your horseradish cream and garnish with dill.
*Hot Smoked Salmon is sold in fillets, you will find it at your local supermarket, from artisan producers at farmers markets or deli’s.