This salad goes beautifully with BBQ grilled meat, ribs or a cheese dish like mac & cheese! If you don't have any pickles, just chop some cucumber and pop it in a bowl with some vinegar, salt and sugar. Let it sit for 30 minutes and drain it. You could also use any of your favourite pickle.
Not just your average pickles here, these little guys are called Mexican cucumbers. Growing Mexican cucumbers for the first time last summer was exciting. The plant is a creeper, it was slow to start, but once it established itself it was prolific! I pickled many jars and they kept growing through to autumn this year. Mizuna is a great salad green, easy to grow and can be eaten fresh or cooked. Meyer lemons (from my sisters tree!) give this salad a mellow citrus taste to help break through your chosen fatty dish you might serve it with. But seriously - try it with grilled meat.
Serves 2 I Prep time 5 min
Gluten Free I Soy Free I Nut Free I Egg Free I Dairy Free
- Handful mizuna
- Splash extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of half meyer lemon
- Pinch murray river salt flakes
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 2 handfuls Mexican cucumber
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Splash of tequila
- Good pinch chilli flakes
- Juice of 1 lime
- In a small saucepan bring vinegar and sugar to the boil. Remove from heat, stir in tequila, chill flakes and lime. Add cucumber and cool in fridge.
- Wash and dry mizuna, chop and arrange on a plate.
- Drain pickle and arrange over mizuma, add a splash of olive oil, squeeze over lemon and season with salt flakes and pepper.