Last week I decided to hang the apron up, order in, relax and have a glass of wine with my partner. We jumped online and went to Menulog, which is really easy to use - the hardest part is narrowing down the many choices of local restaurants!
I was so impressed, that I’m giving away one $30 voucher to two lucky subscribers to Cle-ann Blog, see below for details about how to enter!
After we'd ordered, I immediately went into The Drawer - you know the one, that drawer that has everything random and miscellaneous in it - I rifled through it and dug out all the local take-out menus that come in the post and threw them all away (I recycled them of course!).
With my feet up, watching a film, eating Thai Food, I started thinking about a few ideas for a new blog post!
Arepas are a South American staple made from white corn, the great thing about them is that you can fill them with just about anything, are gluten-free and super easy to make. I do prefer the locally made ones which I sometimes pick up from my local Spanish deli, they store well in the fridge and freezer, and easily re-heat.
This is a recipe that I often cook when we have friends over; something you can prepare the night before and finish when you’re ready to serve. It’s a great ‘almost night off’ - when you want to spend time with your friends rather than spending too much time in the kitchen.
And don’t forget to recycle your take away containers (if you're Greek this means giving them to your mum or yaya, and they will return them - full of food of course! Wink)
AREPAS w CHIPOTLE PULLED PORK + APPLE SLAW
Gluten Free I SERVES 4 with leftover pulled pork
- 4 arepas*
- Pickled chilli (optional)
- Avocado (optional)
- 2kg free range pork shoulder, boneless
- Splash of olive oil
- 1 can chipotle pepper in adobo sauce*
- ¼ cup tamari or gf soy
- ¼ cup dark Tasmanian bush honey
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 apple
- 1 carrot
- ½ small red onion
- 1 tbsp whole egg mayo
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of half a lime
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 220 °C.
- In a small blender, add the can of chipotle pepper in adobo sauce and blend until smooth paste chilli paste.
- Heat a large, oven-proof pot (with lid) on high heat. Add your olive oil, and seal the pork shoulder skin side up. No need to seal the skin. Once all sides are sealed, add water until the pork is nearly covered. Add your ¼ cup of chilli paste as well as the soy, honey, fennel and thyme, then season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cover and transfer to the oven. Cook on 220 °C for 30 minutes, then reduce to 150 °C and cook for a minimum 2 hours - if you have time cook for 4 hours!
- Remove from oven, take the pork out and pull it apart with a fork, then set aside in the fridge. Once the pot is cool enough, put it in the fridge to solidify the layer of fat on top. Once the fat has solidified, remove it with a spoon by scraping it off the top, you should only be left with the jellied stock underneath. Discard the fat. Heat the pot on high so that your jellied stock melts. Add 2 tbsp of chilli paste (if you like it hot, add more) stir, and reduce on a med-high heat until it thickens and coats the back of the stirring spoon. Return your pork back into the sauce and stir until the meat is covered, then leave it to simmer on a low heat until most of the sauce is gone.
- To make the slaw, julienne your apple, carrot and red onion. Add your mayo, olive oil and lime, season, and stir to coat.
- To warm the arepas follow the heating instructions on the packet. I normally heat them in a dry pan.
- To assemble; cut your arepas in half to form a pocket. Stuff with the pulled pork and top with apple slaw. Add pickled chilli and avocado, or whatever extras you desire. Devour!
*Arepas & Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are available from speciality supermarkets and South American delicatessens.
To be in the running to win one of two $30 Menulog vouchers, simply subscribe to Cle-ann Blog before 11.59pm Melbourne time Tuesday 12th August 2014. To subscribe simply enter your email address in the 'Subscribe' tab, located at the top left of this page. Easy!
(The offer is open to Australian residents only. The voucher is valid for one use only. Payment must be made via credit card. Delivery orders only. The voucher is valid for 1 month. The winner will be randomly chosen and notified via email. Prize ends 11.59pm Tuesday 12th August 2014.)
And, if you feel like showing a little extra love why not 'like' the post - that's the little love heart right next to comment!