Today's recipe is part of 3 recipes featured in the March issue of Yum. Gluten Free Magazine. The theme is 'Chocolate', so I thought I would share a couple of simple savoury, Mexican-inspired chocolate recipes (and one sweetie!), using some of my favourite stone-ground staples.
The corn tortillas are from La Tortilleria in Kensington, Melbourne. These guys make fresh tortillas the old fashioned way; you can pick them up fresh and still warm - if you live in Melbourne! The pure chocolate's from Taza, both of these are gluten free and contain no nasties.
SPEEDY MOLE BEEF TACOS
Serves 2 I Prep time 10 min I Cook Time 20 min I Gluten Free I Egg Free I Nut Free I Soy Free
- 500g (2) porterhouse steaks, cut into cubes
- 1 dried ancho chilli
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp chipotle chilli powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 25g Taza Chocolate Mexicano Cacao Puro (or 70% dark chocolate)
- 8 La Tortilleria fresh corn tortillas
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- Handful of coriander leaves
- Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 lime, halved
- Heat a small cast iron saucepan (with lid) on a medium heat. Dry roast the ancho chilli, turning, until fragrant. Place chilli on a chopping board, slice finely (whole or half to your liking) and set aside.
- In the same saucepan over a medium-high heat add 1 tbsp of olive oil and seal the beef on all sides, in batches, remove and set aside.
- In the same saucepan over a medium heat, add remaining olive oil. Fry shallots and garlic until soft. Add tomato paste, stir, add ancho, chipotle, cumin, oregano, beef stock, vinegar and stir. Cook on a low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chocolate and stir until melted, then add the beef and stir to coat and warm the beef through. Turn off heat, cover and set aside.
- Heat tortillas on a hot dry frying pan until soft, about 10-15 seconds each side. Place each warmed tortilla in a clean tea towel, cover, and repeat until all tortillas are warm.
- To assemble, fill each tortilla with cubes of beef. Garnish with a slice of avocado, crumbled feta, coriander and serve with lime on the side.