A warming recipe using crystallised ginger for a bit of sweetness & spice and left-over homemade poached pears. I picked up the crystallised ginger from the Buderim ginger factory in sunny Queensland as well as some other ginger essentials! You can prepare the poached pears the day before (really simple and low in sugar) or use canned pears if you must. This time of year I like to serve it warm with a little cream or a scoop of ice-cream, I love the combination of hot and cold!
PEAR + GINGER UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
Serves 8-10 I Prep time 10 min I Cook time 45 min
Gluten Free I Soy Free
- A few slices of butter
- Sprinkle of brown sugar
- 3 poached pears, halved
- 2 free range eggs
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ½ cup (or 70g) crystallised ginger, chopped
- 200g almond meal
- 1 tsp gf baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice (cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg)
- Pre heat oven to 160 degrees celcius.
- Oil a loaf tin and line with baking paper. Place a few thinly cut slices of butter on the bottom, sprinkle with brown sugar, place the pears on top cut side down.
- Whisk eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add all remaining ingredients and fold in.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in tin for 15 minutes, turn out and serve finished off with a blow-torch to caramelise the sugars on top and serve warm. Or cool on a wire rack and serve at your leisure.