Thai food is one of my favourite cuisines. I've spent lots of time in Thailand, it has a special place in my heart and in my kitchen. I used to order this holy basil stir-fry for breakfast quite a lot while in Bangkok, it was always cooked right in front of my eyes and always served with a little rice and a fried egg - yum. This recipe all happens very quickly so have everything prepped and your sauces and hot serving plates ready to go. Don't turn down the heat - that's why we prep before hand! It helps if you have a wok burner, if not, make sure you have your wok (or fry pan) over the hottest and biggest element you have. You can add a pinch of sugar to the stir-fry if you like, but I try and avoid it when I can, the dish is lovely as is. I like to mince or chop the chicken fine, I prefer the texture to minced meat. Serve this dinner for two with a nice dry white or crisp Riesling.
STIR-FRIED CHICKEN w HOLY BASIL
DINNER FOR TWO
Serves 2 I Prep time 20 min I Cook time 10 min
Gluten Free I Soy Free I Nut Free
- 2 large free-range chicken thighs
- Splash oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2-4 birds-eye chilli
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- Splash fish sauce
- Splash chicken stock (or stock powder in 2-3 tbsp water)
- Handful holy basil, leaves picked
- 1 birds-eye chilli
- 1 clove garlic
- plash oil
- 1 bunch Chinese broccoli
- Splash gf oyster sauce (optional)
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- fresh turmeric, grated
- kaffir lime leaves
- 2 free-range eggs
- Splash oil
- Cook rice in a rice cooker (or as you normally cook it) add some grated turmeric and a few leaves of kaffir lime. Start prepping all your ingredients so you are ready to go when the rice is almost cooked.
- For the greens, heat a wok on high. Bash garlic and chilli with your clever (or large knife), add oil then immediately add garlic, chilli, stir for a few seconds. Then add broccoli, oyster sauce and stir fry for a minute or two. Place onto serving dish. Rinse the wok.
- For the stir-fry, chop chicken into smaller pieces, then mince yourself using a clever or a couple of big knives. Heat wok on high, add oil, garlic, chilli and stir for 30 seconds. Add chicken and stir-fry until it turns white. Add spring onion, fish sauce, chicken stock and stir-fry. Then add holy basil and toss through. Place onto serving dish. Rinse the wok.
- Place the wok on high, add oil and wait for it to smoke, add eggs and cook while spooning over some of that hot oil over the top of the yolk.
- Serve it all together and enjoy the feast.